Release The Hounds!

Welcome to the Archives of Release the Hounds! Please visit the new site--and the radio show--at http://radiohounds.com. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Friday, November 26, 2004

Culture Watch-Smoking Ban

This is a pet peeve of mine that I intend to post on in greater detail later. In my neck of the woods, Laguna Hills, CA has instituted a smoking ban in that city's parks. The linked article does not have some of the following details that I obtained from a local paper but I know them to be accurate. The city had an existing ban on smoking in outdoor dining areas including coffee shops and bars. This was an effort to "fine-tune" that ban and it passed 3-2 in the city council. Now I used to be a smoker and I can understand the problems of smoking in enclosed environments. Not necessarily from concerns over second-hand smoke, but just basic politeness to others. However, I fail to see what the purpose of banning smoking in the great outdoors is supposed to accomplish either from a health standpoint or from the standpoint of civility.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home