Release The Hounds!

Welcome to the Archives of Release the Hounds! Please visit the new site--and the radio show--at http://radiohounds.com. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Saturday, December 11, 2004

My Personal Crusade (Parental Discretion Advised)

As a father I try to pay attention to what my child is exposed to in the popular culture. I believe many parents simply don't have a real idea of what their kids are listening to on a daily basis, especially when it comes to "hip-hop." I've therefore decided to periodically post portions of lyrics from some popular music (loose use of that term) in the hope that even one other parent begins to pay more attention to and monitor what their child is listening to or buying. Don't get me wrong. By ranting against what I consider to be a nadir of popular culture, I don't for a moment advocate censorship. These folks have the right to record, sell and have played on public airways whatever people are willing to buy or listen to since this is, indeed, a free country. But that means we also have the right to shine a light upon and criticize what we may consider to be inappropriate. Let me warn and apologize in advance for some of what you may read. The language is vulgar and often misogynistic. If you have a desire to confirm the accuracy of what I am quoting, there are many websites out there devoted to cataloging lyrics, for example, www.hit-rap-lyrics.com. So let's turn the spotlight on a few highlights from "Stand Up" by Ludacris: "How you ain't gon' FUCK! bitch out me? I'm the GOD DAMN reason you in VIP CEO you don't have to see ID I'm young, wild, and strapped like Chi-Ali... Go on wit ya big ass! lemme see something Tell ya little friend he can quit mean mugging I'm lit and I don't care what no one thinks But where the FUCK is the waitress at wit my drinks?!... Most girls lookin right some lookin a mess That's why they spilling drinks all over ya dress But Louie Vuitton bras all over your breasts Got me wanting to put hickies all over ya chest-ahh C'mon! we gon party tonight Y'all use mouth to mouth bring the party to life Don't be scurred, show another part of your life The more drinks in your system the harder to fight! " Next, and last for now, on the hit parade is "Holidae In" by Chingy with some help from Snoop Dogg and Ludacris: "Bomb ass pussy Ma ooh you got that bomb, know you got it Ma ooh, you got some bomb ass pussy Ma I know you got that bomb bomb pussy... I took a chick in the bathroom seeing what's poppin You know what's on my mind, shirts off and panties dropping Niggaz knocking on the door drunk, and silly The girl said "can I be in yo video" I'm like "yeah!", "oh really?" Now she naked strip teasing, me I'm just cheesing She gave me a reason to be a damn heathen Handled that, told ol' G, bring tha camera Then I thought about, no footage while I ram her... Yeah, let the party begin, bitch Ching-a-ling Ling, all the way in St. Louis My nigga Chingy, Disturbing Tha Peace Luda, Luda, going hard on you hoes Yeah bitch, bring four of ya friends Meet me at the Holidae In..." Nice.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home