Release The Hounds!

Welcome to the Archives of Release the Hounds! Please visit the new site--and the radio show--at http://radiohounds.com. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Monday, December 20, 2004

To Sign Or Not To Sign...Should we Care?

I'm struggling with this story about Rumsfeld's failure to personally sign the condolence letters to the families of our fallen soldiers. On the one hand, a machine signed letter is awfully impersonal coming from the person much responsible for my son or daughter having been stationed in harm's way and then making the ultimate sacrifice to God and country. On the other hand, before passing judgment I'd like to know a few things such as did former secretaries of defense personally sign such letters in time of war. Also, as a parent myself, I'm not sure how much I would care if the letter offering condolences for the loss of my beloved child was personally signed or not. I don't think it would make any difference to me as I struggled in my bereavement. I understand we lost an average of 40 soldiers per day during the Vietnam war. Did the various secretaries of defense during that conflict personally sign the thousands of letters? Just asking...I'm not sure where I come down on this one.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home