Release The Hounds!

Welcome to the Archives of Release the Hounds! Please visit the new site--and the radio show--at http://radiohounds.com. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Where's The ACLU When You Need It?

I had earlier posted about the decision to set up "prayer spaces" at Giants Stadium and Continental Arena and wondered whether the ACLU would take up the fight to put a stop to this clear violation of the Establishment Clause of our Constitution (at least as the ACLU likes to interpret it). Well, here's the content of my email to ACLU-NJ: "The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority is apparently in the process of, or already has, set aside "prayer spaces" at Giants Stadium and the Continental Arena. For details go to this link [SI.com article]. It would seem to me that, inasmuch as the Sports and Exposition Authority is a public agency, and both Giants Stadium and Continental Arena are public owned, publicly funded and, quite obviously, open to the public, that the creation of such "prayer spaces" is a violation of the Establishment Clause and therefore unconstitutional. I would like to know if the ACLU-NJ has taken, or plans to take, any steps to stop this. Thank you, Ric Ottaiano" If I don't get a response in the next few days, I will follow up. Just imagine if it was decided to put up creche in Giants Stadium so those Christians who wanted to pay silent thanks during this Christmas season could. Or even a simple Christmas tree. Or a Christmas tree and a Star of David or a menorah. The obvious reason for a "prayer space," or whatever they wish to call it, is to appease Muslim sensibilities. I doubt very much if a bunch of Latter Day Saints complained, we'd be looking at "prayer spaces" in public facilities. I'll keep you up to date on developments in my little quest here. The explanation I expect to hear, if I hear anything at all, is that since I'm not a resident of N.J. I have no standing to raise this issue. No problemo. I know lots of people in N.J. The next step will be to file a complaint with the ACLU-NJ and see what happens. Feel free to express similar sentiments to ACLU-NJ if you wish, and let me know if you get a response.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home