Release The Hounds!

Welcome to the Archives of Release the Hounds! Please visit the new site--and the radio show--at http://radiohounds.com. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Monday, January 16, 2006

The Death Penalty

Please take a minute to read this piece by a former death penalty opponent who has now reconsidered when a brutal murder hits close to home. She eloquently describes the transformation from the theoretical to the concrete (a journey most death penalty opponents likely haven't taken), but still ponders over the real issue of "what if...?" To me, the most interesting observation is found in the closing graph: "The jury verdict for Constantine's killer was life in prison without parole. Although he'll die in jail, there's a part of me that wishes he got the death penalty. I'm not proud of this, nor am I sure that next year, or even next month, I'll feel this way." It's interesting because I can't embrace the notion that one should feel regret or disappointment in oneself because of the belief that the killer of an innocent human being should lose his life. But that, I suppose, is where the debate starts.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home